> Sure, but was it Linux in embedded devices that made Linux what it is today,
> or was it GNU/Linux?

No, it was the fact that Linux has always been able to run on garbage.

My introduction to Linux was in 1995 when I was given a network
of computers made out of back-laboratory garbage and US$0
software budget and told to make it work. None of the BSDs
could cut it, but Linux could.

User space Unix tool rewrites all of which I could have gotten from
*BSD had absolutely nothing to do with it. I doubt that I am
typical.

-sb