On Jun 20, 2007, (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 06:12:57PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> Aah, good question. Here's what the draft says about this:
>> Mere interaction with a user through a computer network, with no
>> transfer of a copy, is not conveying.
>> The requirements as to "installation information" apply to conveying
>> the program along with a user product.

> So if I go use a computer running some GPL software, and I copy the
> contents of /bin to a CD and bring it home, does the owner of the
> machine now owe me a copy of the GPL sources?

According to one of the rationales of GPLv3, it is understood that
lending someone a computer for a short period of time does not amount
to conveying the software in it. I assume this is backed by strong
legal reasoning I won't pretend to know or understand. IANAL.

Alexandre Oliva
FSF Latin America Board Member
Red Hat Compiler Engineer aoliva@{,}
Free Software Evangelist oliva@{,}

  Last update: 2007-06-20 22:59    [W:0.591 / U:11.360 seconds]