On Jun 20, 2007, lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 06:12:57PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> Aah, good question. Here's what the draft says about this:
>>
>> Mere interaction with a user through a computer network, with no
>> transfer of a copy, is not conveying.
>>
>> The requirements as to "installation information" apply to conveying
>> the program along with a user product.

> So if I go use a computer running some GPL software, and I copy the
> contents of /bin to a CD and bring it home, does the owner of the
> machine now owe me a copy of the GPL sources?

According to one of the rationales of GPLv3, it is understood that
lending someone a computer for a short period of time does not amount
to conveying the software in it. I assume this is backed by strong
legal reasoning I won't pretend to know or understand. IANAL.

FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/