SubjectRe: Change in default vm_dirty_ratio
On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 10:17 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> >
> > Building on the per BDI patches, how about integrating feedback from the
> > full-ness of device queues. That is, when we are happily doing IO and we
> > cannot possibly saturate the active devices (as measured by their queue
> > never reaching 75%?) then we can safely increase the total dirty limit.
>
> The really annoying things are the one-off things. You've been happily
> working for a while (never even being _close_ to saturatign any IO
> queues), and then you untar a large tree.
>
> If the kernel now let's you dirty lots of memory, you'll have a very
> unpleasant experience.

maybe that needs to be fixed? If you stopped dirtying after the initial
bump.. is there a reason for the kernel to dump all that data to the
disk in such a way that it disturbs interactive users?

so the question maybe is.. is the vm tunable the cause or the symptom of
the bad experience?

  Last update: 2007-06-20 20:19    [W:0.090 / U:0.112 seconds]