    SubjectRe: Intel's response Linux/MTRR/8GB Memory Support / Why doesn't the kernel realize the BIOS has problems and re-map appropriately?

    On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Andi Kleen wrote:

    >> I feel, having a silent/transparent workaround is not a good idea. With that
    > If enough RAM is chopped off users will notice. They tend to complain
    > when they miss RAM. I don't like panic very much because for many
    > users it will be a show stopper (even when they are not blessed
    > with "quiet" boots like some distributions do)
    > The message in dmesg could be also emphasized a bit with a little
    > ASCII art (but no <blink> tag in there)
    > The problem I'm more worried about is if the system will be really
    > stable --- could it be that the memory controller is still
    > misconfigured and cause other stability issues? (we've had such
    > cases in the past). Also I'm not sure we can handle the case of
    > the MTRR wrong not at the end of memory but at the hole sanely.
    > -Andi

    So far I have been booting with mem=8832M and have run stress/loaded the
    memory subsystem pretty good; what other tests should I run?

    It'd be nice if we could pose some sort of solution/warning for the future
    so other people do not have to experience the same problems.

    What are the next steps?

      Last update: 2007-06-02 22:15    [W:0.036 / U:0.032 seconds]