    On Jun 19, 2007, wrote:

    > if you also make the assumption that the company won't use propriatary
    > software instead then I think you would get agreement.

    Ah, good point. When I posed the one of the two cases of the inicial
    scenario as "no tivoization", I meant Free Software without

    > but the disagrement is over this exact assumption. you assume that
    > these companies will use non-tivoized products if you make it hard
    > to use the software covered by the GPL, most other people are saying
    > that they disagree and the result would be fewer companies useing
    > software covered by GPL instead.

    I understand that. And what I'm saying is that, even if fewer such
    companies use GPLed software, you may still be better off, out of
    additional contributions you'll get from customers of companies that
    switch from tivoization to unconstrained Free Software, because of the
    additional costs of the alternatives.

    And no, I can't prove it, but it's good that at least the argument is
    no longer completely disregarded while something else is disputed.

    Now that you guys at least understand what the argument is, you can
    figure out the solution by yourselves.

    Alexandre Oliva
    FSF Latin America Board Member
    Red Hat Compiler Engineer aoliva@{,}
    Free Software Evangelist oliva@{,}

      Last update: 2007-06-20 02:43    [W:0.033 / U:166.760 seconds]