    On Jun 19, 2007, david@lang.hm wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    >> You're losing all that.

    > based on the knowledge shown by these users you aren't loosing much.

    Remember, the sample is biased, the hackers who'd like to hack it are
    less likely to buy it, and some might be only making private changes
    to avoid legal hassles.

    And then, it doesn't have to be all that much. Since you're talking
    specifically about TiVo customers, how much has TiVo effectly
    contributed in terms of code? (It was pointed out before, I know, but
    it's important to keep this in perspective, lest people lose sight of
    what's at stake)

    > remember, not all tivo models are locked down,

    Only the earliest that you can't find for sale any more, right?

    > as a result of watching the hacker groups I can safely say that the
    > lockdown has not blocked many users. it has slowed modification of the
    > hacks to new types of hardware, but not for very long.

    Well, then... What's the point *for* tivoization, again? To slow
    down the contributions? And that's good because...?

    > in the case of Tivo, there are many public boards that talk about
    > hacking tivos, and tivo employees login and contribute to them.

    Nice!

    Thanks for the info, this was very enlightening.

    FSF Latin America Board Member http://www.fsfla.org/