SubjectRe: Versioning file system
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:08:52 -0700
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

> Chris Snook wrote:
> > I pointed out NetApp's .snapshot directories because that's a method
> > that uses legal path character, but doesn't break anything. With this
> > method, userspace tools will have to be taught that : is suddenly a
> > special character.
>
> Not to mention that the character historically used for this purpose is
> ; (semicolon.)

Yes but tdskb:foo.mac[1013,1013,frob];4 is *not* elegant. POSIX is very
clear about what is acceptable as magic in a pathname, and the unix spec
even more so. The NetApp approach recognizes two important things

1. Old version access is the oddity not the norm
2. Standards behaviour is important

Alan

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans