On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2007, Daniel Drake <dsd@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I realise that the latest GPLv3 draft would not pose restrictions
>> here, as such devices would not be classified as consumer
>> products.
>
> And even if they were, there's always ROM.
>
> I don't know whether hardware seals that state "once you break this
> seal, law prohibits the use of this device with human patients".

once you break the seal the device is no longer certified. an uncertified
device cannot be used.

this is very common (in some areas it's widely ignored, in others it
isn't)

this is just like the 'you void the warranty if you disrupt this sticker'
stickers that you see on just about any hardware you buy today. some
vendors are stickers for this, others don't really care.

David Lang

> Then the restriction is not being imposed by the manufacturer, only by
> law, and this does make lot of a difference as far as software freedom
> is concerned.
>
> But then, law might not find this to be enough. Software patents are
> not the only stupid law that harms Free Software :-(

  Last update: 2007-06-19 23:11    [W:1.288 / U:0.016 seconds]