    SubjectRe: Versioning file system
    Jack Stone wrote:
    > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >> Chris Snook wrote:
    >>> I pointed out NetApp's .snapshot directories because that's a method
    >>> that uses legal path character, but doesn't break anything. With this
    >>> method, userspace tools will have to be taught that : is suddenly a
    >>> special character.
    >> Not to mention that the character historically used for this purpose is
    >> ; (semicolon.)
    > But that would cause havoc with shells which use ; to seperate commands.
    > Using ; would defiantly break userspace
    > Jack

    I can escape the semicolon just fine in bash. In fact, tab-completion will do
    this automatically. That's really a non-issue. It just means that anyone who
    wants to use this feature would have to know what they're doing, which I believe
    is your goal, right?

    -- Chris

      Last update: 2007-06-19 22:13    [W:0.047 / U:22.508 seconds]