    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007, Daniel Hazelton wrote:

    >> Dispute this:
    >> non-tivoized hardware => users can scratch their itches => more
    >> contributions from these users
    >> tivoized hardware => users can't scratch their itches => fewer
    >> contributions from these users
    > Linus doesn't have to. Statistically the number of people that will even think
    > of modifying the code running on a "tivoized" device is minute - at most 5%
    > of the users of such a device. Of those people the ones with the skill to
    > actually do the work is an even smaller number - figure 2.5 to 3% of them. Of
    > those with the skill, probably about 10% of them are actually *good* enough
    > at it for their changes to be useful. Of that number, figure that only 25%,
    > at most, will contribute the changes back.
    > Apply that to a sample case:
    > "tivoized" device total users: 1,000,000
    > people that think about modifying: 50,000 (5%)
    > people with skill: 1500 (3%)
    > people who are good enough for the changes to be useful: 150 (10%)
    > those who will contribute them back: 38 (25%)

    based on my experiance looking at the software released for tivos, I think
    you are over-estimating these numbers. if there are more then a dozen
    people producing things that are good enough to be useful and releasing
    their results as opensource software I would be surprised.

    and for all that the FSF is claiming that tivos can't being modified it's
    really not that hard to change.

    David Lang

      Last update: 2007-06-19 21:45    [W:0.022 / U:29.120 seconds]