    SubjectRe: Change in default vm_dirty_ratio
    Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> writes:

    > It seems too large. Memory sizes are going up faster than disk throughput
    > and it seems wrong to keep vast amounts of dirty data floating about in
    > memory like this. It can cause long stalls while the system writes back
    > huge amounts of data and is generally ill-behaved.

    A more continuous write out would be better I think. Perhaps the dirty ratio
    needs to be per address space?

    > things are trivially tunable and you'd think that after all these years,
    > distro initscripts would be establishing the settings, based upon expected
    > workload, amount of memory, number and bandwidth of attached devices, etc.

    Distro initscripts normally don't have any better clue about any of this
    than the kernel.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2007-06-19 21:05    [W:0.020 / U:30.724 seconds]