    Hi Alexandre,

    On 6/19/07, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:
    > Dispute this:
    >
    > non-tivoized hardware => users can scratch their itches => more
    > contributions from these users
    >
    > tivoized hardware => users can't scratch their itches => fewer
    > contributions from these users

    Maybe, but in what numbers? It's not like every user out there is able
    to scratch their itches in the first place. Besides, people who want
    to hack their hardware either work around the restrictions (like Linux
    on xbox) or buy hardware that doesn't have any.

    In any case, I hope we call quits on this thread. People have already
    explained to you that there are certain devices (ATMs, medical
    equipment) where you absolutely want "tivoization". Furthermore, Linus
    has repeatedly explained to you why he (and bunch of other _kernel_
    hackers -- this is a thread on LKML, remember) thinks it's stupid for
    a software license to restrict hardware design choices. If you don't
    see the point, fine, but lets stop wasting each others time, ok?

      Last update: 2007-06-19 16:19    [W:0.040 / U:0.084 seconds]