SubjectRe: Versioning file system
On Mon, 18 June 2007 18:10:21 -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:31:14PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > And that makes them different from extended attributes, how?
> >
> > Both of these really are nothing but ad hocky syntactic sugar for
> > directories, sometimes combined with in-filesystem support for small
> > data items.
> There's a good discussion of the issues involved in my LCA 2006
> presentation.... which doesn't seem to be on the LCA 2006 site. Hrm.
> I'll have to ask that this be fixed. In any case, here it is:

The main difference appears to be the potential size. Both extended
attributes and forks allow for extra data that I neither want or need.
But once the extra space is large enough to hide a rootkit in, it
becomes a security problem instead of just something pointless.

Pointless here means that _I_ don't see the point. Maybe there are
valid uses for extended attributes. If there are, noone has explained
them to me yet.

They laughed at Galileo. They laughed at Copernicus. They laughed at
Columbus. But remember, they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
-- unknown

  Last update: 2007-06-19 00:35    [W:0.139 / U:25.644 seconds]