SubjectGIT Packages for Debian Etch
a friend of mine always builds the Debian Packages from unstable for
Debian Etch. I have on all my machines the following line in

deb ./

apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

and you're up2speed.

If you don't trust that packages it is very easy to build them yourself:

dpkg-source -x git-core_1.5.2.1-1.dsc
cd git-core-
fakeroot debian/rules binary

It runs the whole test suite and only contiues producing debs if they're good
to go. It might be possible that you have to install some build dependencies by
yourself. If some new git version hits unstable you can get the references for
the three files above from:
=> unstable
=> scroll to end of page
=> Source Packages
=> Source Package: git-core, Download: [dsc] ...