SubjectRe: Versioning file system
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Bodo Eggert wrote:

> alan <> wrote:
>> I just wish that people would learn from the mistakes of others. The
>> MacOS is a prime example of why you do not want to use a forked
>> filesystem, yet some people still seem to think it is a good idea.
>> (Forked filesystems tend to be fragile and do not play well with
>> non-forked filesystems.)
> What's the conceptual difference between forks and extended user attributes?

Forks tend to contain more than just extended attributes. They contain
all sorts of other meta-data including icons, descriptions, author
information, copyright data, and whatever else can be shoveled into them
by the author/user.

"ANSI C says access to the padding fields of a struct is undefined.
ANSI C also says that struct assignment is a memcpy. Therefore struct
assignment in ANSI C is a violation of ANSI C..."
- Alan Cox

  Last update: 2007-06-18 23:11    [W:0.101 / U:7.728 seconds]