    SubjectRe: ARC-1260: No space left on device, when there is (or should be) free space left
    On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:20:15PM +0200, Magnus Naeslund wrote:
    > Duh, this was it!
    > What is the recommended method on how to increase the inode count on the filesystem (there is no need for online resize in this case)?
    > I have the resize_inode option set when looking at the tune2fs -l output.

    Unfortunately, at the moment there isn't a way to increase the inode
    count without resizing the filesystem (which will add more blocks and
    inodes as you add more blockgroups). That's because the number of
    inodes per block group is fixed at mke2fs time.

    In theory it should be possible to whip up a program which would
    implement this, but it would be a non-trivial exercise. So at the
    moment, the only solution is to recreate it with a larger number of
    inodes, or resize the filesystem.

    How are you using the filesystem? This wouldn't happen to be one of
    the backup schemes that use hard links and huge numbers of
    directories, would it? And how did you create the filesystem
    originally? Normally mke2fs is quite generous with the number of
    inodes it creates to avoid this problem. Did you use -T largefile or
    -T largefile4 by any chance? Or did you manually specify a
    non-standard inode_ratio size?

    - Ted

      Last update: 2007-06-18 15:47    [W:0.023 / U:0.424 seconds]