    SubjectRe: How to improve the quality of the kernel?
    Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
    > despite the fact that audit takes
    > more time/knowledge then making the patch you will end up with zero credit
    > if patch turns out to be (luckily) correct. Even if you find out issues
    > and report them you are still on mercy of author for being credited

    If we introduce a "Reviewed-by" with reasonably clear semantics
    (different from Signed-off-by; e.g. the reviewer is not a middle-man in
    patch forwarding; the reviewer might have had remaining reservations...
    very similar to but not entirely the same as "Acked-by" as currently
    defined in -mm) --- and also make the already somewhat established
    "Tested-by" more official, --- then the maintainers could start to make
    it a habit to add Reviewed-by and Tested-by.

    Plus, reviewers and testers could formally reply with Reviewed-by and
    Tested-by lines to patch postings and even could explicitly ask the
    maintainer to add these lines.

    > so from personal POV you are much better to wait and fix issues after they
    > hit mainline kernel. You have to choose between being a good citizen and
    > preventing kernel regressions or being bastard and getting the credit. ;)
    > If you happen to be maintainer of the affected code the choice is similar
    > with more pros for letting the patch in especially if you can't afford the
    > time to do audit (and by being maintainer you are guaranteed to be heavily
    > time constrained).

    I don't think that a maintainer (who signs off on patches after all) can
    easily afford to take the "bastard approach". I may be naive.
    Stefan Richter