    SubjectRe: And now for something _totally_ different: Linux v2.6.22-rc5
    On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 10:01 -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007, Nicholas Miell wrote:
    > > On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 20:33 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > > In a stunning turn of events, I've actually been able to make another -rc
    > > > release despite all the discussion (*cough*flaming*cough*) about other
    > > > issues, and we now have a brand-spanking-new Linux 2.6.22-rc5 release
    > > > out there!
    > > >

    > > signalfd still has the broken behavior w.r.t. signal delivery to
    > > threads.
    > >
    > > Is this going to get fixed before 2.6.22 proper is released, or should
    > > it just be disabled entirely so no userspace apps grow to depend on
    > > current wrong behavior?
    > At the moment, with Ben's patch applied, signalfd can see all group-sent
    > signals, and locally-directed thread signals.

    But there's still no way for multiple threads to read from a single
    signalfd and get their own thread-specific signals in addition to
    process-wide signals, right? I think this was agreed to be the least
    surprising behavior.

    > Linus, we can leave this as is, or we can use the ququed-signalfd that was
    > implemented in the first versions of signalfd. In such case, since
    > signalfd hooks to the sighand, all signals will be visible to signalfd and
    > they will not compete against dequeue_signal with the tasks. So there will
    > be no races in the queue retrieval. The issue that remained to be solved
    > was a simple way to limit memory allocated by the queue.
    > What do you prefer?
    > - Davide

    Nicholas Miell <>

      Last update: 2007-06-17 21:29    [W:0.021 / U:2.336 seconds]