    On Jun 16, 2007, Daniel Hazelton <> wrote:

    > I don't see how TiVO has done this. They have placed no restrictions on
    > *modification* at all. What they have done is placed a restriction on
    > *REPLACEMENT* of the program.

    Technicality. In order for the software to remain free (which is what
    the GPL is all about), the user must not be stopped from adapting the
    software to suit his needs and running it for any purpose. TiVo
    places restrictions on it. It's really this simple.

    And then, TiVo doesn't really prohibit replacement. You can replace
    it as much as you like; just not as conveniently as TiVo can replace
    it. And then, if you do, it won't run, because it's not signed with a
    key that they omit from the source code. And they do this in order to
    prevent the user from changing the behavior of the Free Software that
    they use, while they keep this ability to themselves.

    If these are not restrictions on the freedoms that the GPL is designed
    to protect to ensure that Free Software remains Free for all its
    users, I don't know what is.

    Alexandre Oliva
    FSF Latin America Board Member
    Red Hat Compiler Engineer aoliva@{,}
    Free Software Evangelist oliva@{,}

      Last update: 2007-06-16 21:31    [W:0.020 / U:6.216 seconds]