> On Friday 15 June 2007 18:59:14 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > So it's true: the GPL just gives you rights, and without it you have no
> > rights (other than fair use ones etc), and blah blah. But the distinction
> > between "license" vs "contract" really isn't a very important one in any
> > case.
> Er, copyright law is federal, contract law is generally state level? So not
> only does contract law vary a lot more by jurisdiction, but it's enforced by
> different courts than suits over copyright? (You'll notice the GPL doesn't
> say which state law holds sway. If it was a contract this would be kind of
> important.)

That seems to be a special property of the US legal system. At least I'm
not aware of this or a similar distinction in e.g. germany (or most parts
of europe AFAIK).

Technosis GmbH, Geschäftsführer: Michael Gerdau, Tobias Dittmar
Sitz Hamburg; HRB 89145 Amtsgericht Hamburg
Vote against SPAM - see
Michael Gerdau email: