    SubjectRe: Versioning file system
    On Fri, 15 June 2007 15:51:07 -0700, alan wrote:

    > >Thus, in the end it turns out that this stuff is better handled by
    > >explicit version-control systems (which require explicit operations to
    > >manage revisions) and atomic snapshots (for backup.)
    >
    > ZFS is the cool new thing in that space. Too bad the license makes it
    > hard to incorporate it into the kernel.

    It may be the coolest, but there are others as well. Btrfs looks good,
    nilfs finally has a cleaner and may be worth a try, logfs will get
    snapshots sooner or later. Heck, even my crusty old cowlinks can be
    viewed as snapshots.

    If one has spare cycles to waste, working on one of those makes more
    sense than implementing file versioning.

    Jörn

    --
    "Security vulnerabilities are here to stay."
    -- Scott Culp, Manager of the Microsoft Security Response Center, 2001