    On Jun 15, 2007, Ingo Molnar <> wrote:

    > that's exactly what the GPLv3 does: it creatively defines the
    > hardware's key into the 'source code' of the software and then asks
    > for that to be provided _not_ because somehow the key derives from
    > the software

    Dude, you're 3 drafts behind. And some people already read GPLv2 like

    > (it clearly does not), but as a "compensation" for the right to
    > redistribute! I.e. it's trying to extend its scope to some item that
    > is not part of the software. See?

    The "compensation" is and has always been "respecting others'
    freedoms". If the key is used to disrespect others freedoms, as it is
    by TiVO, then TiVO is failing to keep its part in the deal.

    Alexandre Oliva
    FSF Latin America Board Member
    Red Hat Compiler Engineer aoliva@{,}
    Free Software Evangelist oliva@{,}