    SubjectRe: coding style

    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

    > | from CodingStyle:
    > | Tabs are 8 characters, and thus indentations are also 8
    > | characters. There are heretic movements that try to make
    > | indentations 4 (or even 2!) characters deep, and that is akin
    > | to trying to define the value of PI to be 3.
    > |
    > | Linus (did he wrote that part?) and the heretics both can have their fun
    > | without impacting each other. If we wanted to force the user to have
    > | exactly 8 screen blanks, we should use spaces throughout.

    I did indeed write that.

    Tabs are 8 characters in the kernel coding style.

    And yes, I also wrote the other quote:

    > Dunno who wrote that part :(. Jan, look:
    > Now, some people will claim that having 8-character indentations makes
    > the code move too far to the right, and makes it hard to read on a
    > 80-character terminal screen. The answer to that is that if you need
    > more than 3 levels of indentation, you're screwed anyway, and should fix
    > your program.

    and I think that's in many ways even more important than the 8-character
    tab, because deep indentation is unreadable even if you *can* fit it on a
    single line.

    In the kernel, we try to split functions up, and perhaps use inline
    functions etc, and really really avoid deep indentation.

      Last update: 2007-06-15 22:25    [W:0.020 / U:0.440 seconds]