    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, David Greaves wrote:
    >> Surely it's more:
    >> bad == go away and don't use future improvements to our software anymore
    >> please.
    >> ??
    >
    > Well, with the understanding that I don't think that what Tivo did was bad
    > in the first place, let me tackle that question *anyway*.
    >
    > The answer is: Not necessarily.
    I do agree with what you say here. Maybe a summary:
    Babies, bathwater...
    When you have a hammer (license) everything looks like a nail...

    > See? You don't actually have to like Tivo to see downsides to trying to
    > stop them. Because these kinds of things have consequences *outside* of
    > just stopping Tivo.

    My concern is around embedded type systems and maybe even the 'trusted'
    frameworks etc.

    I _think_ I can see a completely opensource system that the end user cannot
    modify _in any way_. Which kinda defeats the point (to me) of opensource.

    This 5 minute design undoubtedly has flaws but it shows a direction:
    A basically standard 'De11' PC with some flash.
    A Tivoised boot system so only signed kernels boot.
    A modified kernel that only runs (FOSS) executables whose signed hash lives in
    the flash.

    Do we (you) _want_ to prevent this?

    Do we trust in 'the market' to prevent this?

    Do we use license tools?

    David

      Last update: 2007-06-15 20:13    [W:3.054 / U:0.092 seconds]