    On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Bernd Paysan wrote:

    > Ah no, it's their fault. The GPLv2 always was clear that there will be some
    > future releases of the GPL, and that you should keep "upgrading" possible.

    No. It is clear that you have the *option* of keep upgrading, but it is
    also equally clear that Linux has always decided *not* to exercise that
    option, exactly because I liked the GPLv2, not some "future upgrade".

    I decided that long before I saw the GPLv3.

    And I'm surprised by people who wonder why I did that.

    I'm _intelligent_, dammit. That means that I can foresee the future to
    some degree, at least in the limited sense of what is a likely outcome of
    my actions.

    Why are people surprised by the fact that I have foresight? I may be known
    for being an impolite bastard, but quite frankly, anybody who thinks I'm a
    _stupid_ impolite bastard must be missing a page.

    You can disagree with my opinions. You can call me obstinate, impolite,
    and opinionated. But quite frankly, very few people have ever found me
    *stupid*.

    So give me that - I'm not stupid. That means that I actually *can* predict
    the future to some fuzzy degree, and that people really should *not* be
    surprised by the fact that I never let the FSF control my choice of
    license.

    > The GPLv2 tries hard to be compatible with any further versions of the GPL
    > as possible, by allowing people to choose which license you take, and by
    > making sure that no man in the middle can restrict this choice. If people
    > deliberately select to use "GPLv2 only", who's to blame?

    There's no "blame". There's only credit.

    Besides, you are wrong. The *default* for the GPLv2 in the presense of
    license information is *not* "v2 or later"

    In order to get "GPLv2 or later", you actually have to explicitly specify
    it.

    I just find it sad that so many people did that, often apparently just
    because they didn't actually read or understand the license.

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-06-15 17:33    [W:0.022 / U:30.248 seconds]