    On Jun 15, 2007, Bron Gondwana <> wrote:

    > #define Dell CFG_FAVOURITE_VENDOR

    > A Dell desktop machine is a piece of hardware. The manufacturer has the
    > source code (hypothetically) to the BIOS. The BIOS is required for the
    > machine to boot and run Linux.

    > Riddle me this (especially Alexandre, I'm just latching on to Ingo's
    > post because it has the right hook to grab) - are Dell required to give
    > out the source to the bios to enable people to have the same rights Dell
    > engineers do to modify the behaviour of the system?

    What is the license for the bios? Does it say anything about 'no
    further restrictions on the freedoms to modify and share the

    Does it include any mechanisms to stop people from booting modified
    versions of the Linux that ships with the machine?

    Alexandre Oliva
    FSF Latin America Board Member
    Red Hat Compiler Engineer aoliva@{,}
    Free Software Evangelist oliva@{,}

      Last update: 2007-06-15 07:41    [W:0.019 / U:18.040 seconds]