    SubjectRe: coding style
    On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 10:48:36PM +0400, Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

    > Hi to all,
    >
    > a simple question the answer to witch I didn't find in CodingStyle.
    > Look for a code snip:
    >
    > err = foo(arg_a, arg_b, arg_c,
    > arg_d);
    >
    > the second line contains 'd' arg aligned with tabs only
    > but it could be rewritten with more elegant style (by adding
    > a few spaces) like this
    >
    > err = foo(arg_a, arg_b, arg_c,
    > arg_d);
    >
    > so which one is preferred for the kernel?

    There is no "preferred", just one good and one bad :-)

    Ideally, you should use tabs only for indentation, and spaces only for
    alignment. Keep in mind that there are people using different tab sizes
    and that your tabs should not make it harder for them to read your code.
    In your example above, you should use tabs from left up to "err", then
    spaces to go from "err" to "arg_d".

    However, we know that some editors such as emacs are stupid in this regard,
    because they fill with tabs then complete with spaces, so it's not always
    easy.

    Regards,
    Willy

      Last update: 2007-06-15 06:53    [W:0.019 / U:35.300 seconds]