    On Thursday 14 June 2007 14:53:47 Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
    > > So now the copy of the GPL v2 isn't good enough for the GPLv1.1 code?
    > > Maybe that code said 'or later' in the license and hence someone added
    > > it to a GPL v2 project since that sounds perfectly OK.
    >
    > Where did that GPLv1.1 nonsense come from?
    >
    > There is no GPLv1.1 code in the tree. By the time I selected the GPL for
    > the kernel license, the GPLv1.1 had long since been discontinued. The
    > kernel was *never* GPLv1.1-only compatible. That's just total nonsense.
    >
    > There was indeed a kernel license before the GPLv2, but it wasn't the GPL
    > at all, it was my own made-up thing. Appended here, for those who are too
    > lazy to actually look up and check the original Linux-0.01 announcement.

    A hundred or so messages back someone stated that the parport driver in Linux
    is GPLv1.1 - however, on checking on this statement for myself I've found
    that there is no statement about it being v1.1 and, in fact, given that Linux
    itself is GPLv2 there is no possible way any code covered by GPLv1.1 can
    exist.

    DRH

    --
    Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.