    >   Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
    > covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of
    > running the Program is not restricted, ...
    >
    > The license does not cover running of the program. It doesn't restrict
    > it, but it doesn't cover it. Claiming otherwise is turning the GPL into
    > yet another dreaded EULA.

    For many juridisctions loading from disk into memory is copying and in
    some from memory to CPU cache a second copy. This is one reason as I
    understand it GPLv3 talks about "conveying" - to avoid that mess and
    confusion.

    > In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
    > with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
    > a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
    > the scope of this License.
    >
    > TiVo's firmware (and any restrictions it may carry) is not affected by
    > the GPLv2.

    Really irrelevant to the discussion. Tivo's firmware is up to them.
    Whether the resulting system permits them to include GPLv2 software with
    it is what matters.

    Alan

      Last update: 2007-06-14 23:45    [W:0.019 / U:154.388 seconds]