    On 6/14/07, Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On 6/14/07, Dave Neuer <mr.fred.smoothie@pobox.com> wrote:
    > > On 6/14/07, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
    > > > Nothing prevents you from taking tivos kernel
    > > > changes and building your own hardware to run that code on, and as such
    > > > the spirit of the GPL v2 seems fulfilled.
    > >
    > > Oh, come on: you're not serious, right? Something indeed prevents me
    > > -- the fact that I'm not a hardware manufacturer, I don't have fabs,
    > > outsource vendors to provide me w/ designs, ASICs, etc. Nor to I have
    > > the money to pay one-off prices for various components if they're even
    > > available in batches that small.
    > >

    > So your objection here is that one needs additional resources to do
    > excersise their rights. Well, what about spending time and money to
    > get education to be able to do programming work?

    Come on, again w/ the bullshit. TiVO does not try to prevent me from
    getting a CS degree, or buying a C reference. They _do_ prevent me
    from running modified code on my TiVO box.

    > Being able to
    > understand C and hardware, etc is also an additional restriction
    > imposed on an average person.

    Not imposed by TiVO.

    > Do you advocate that every copy of GPL
    > program should be accompanied with an engineer who would explain how
    > it all works?

    No, just that hardware vendors not lock me out of _my_ hardware if
    they've benefitted from code which was intended to be modifiable by
    end users.

    Dave

      Last update: 2007-06-14 23:37    [W:3.240 / U:0.180 seconds]