    On 6/14/07, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:
    > On Jun 14, 2007, "Dmitry Torokhov" <dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, consider non-derived work.
    >
    > I did, you snipped it out:
    >
    > >> If your change is not a derived work, you're not bound by the terms
    > >> of the GPL as far as the change is concerned, so the GPL has no say
    > >> whatsoever as to how you must release it. If you choose the GPL,
    > >> then you're a licensor, and the requirements to pass on all the
    > >> rights you have do not apply.

    Yes, I did, thank you for putting the text back in.

    > > Because I am distributing whole program
    > > I have to do it under GPL.

    Please notice this sentence. GPL still influences the way I release
    stuff (if I want to release the work as whole) but it does not mean
    passing all rigths I could possibly have.

    > > However I still have the right to
    > > distribute just the portion that is written by me under whatevel
    > > license I want but you as a recepient of GPLed whole do not get this
    > > right. IOW I am not passing all the rights _I have_.
    >
    > I see what you mean. IANAL, but I don't think that's how it works.
    >
    > When your work is not a derived work, the GPL that applies to the rest
    > of the program does not make you a licensee, and it only covers your
    > work if you choose to license it that way. And then, you're the sole
    > licensor of that piece of the work.

    So, with regard to TIVO, why are you saying that GPL shoudl affect
    their hardware (I assume that key check/enforce is done in firmware
    taht is separate from kernel image)?

    --
    Dmitry