    On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    > Last I looked, TiVO was not the author of Linux. Did you sell out or
    > something? ;-P :-D

    You're a moron.

    I'm the original author, and I selected the GPLv2 for Linux.

    Tivo accepted that, and followed the GPLv2. Even the FSF lawyers agreed
    that they followed it.

    But Tivo *is* the "author" of their own proprietary applications, and it
    *is* the designer of their hardware.

    And exactly like I had the right to the choice of license when it comes to
    Linux, they have the right of choice to license and behaviour when it
    comes to *their* software and hardware (that is not a derived work of

    But you cannot follow a coherent argument, because you dont' *want* to
    follow it. Because following the logical argument would take you to a
    place where you don't want to be.

    I'm not going to bother discussing this any more. You don't seem to
    respect my right to choose the license for my own code.

    So one final time:

    - I chose the GPLv2, fully understanding that the Tivo kind of situation
    is ok.

    - the FSF lawyers too have acknowledged that what Tivo did was not a
    license violation, so I obviously am not confused about the issue: YOU

    - I think that what Tivo did was not only "technically valid" by the
    license, it was what I *intended* by my choice of license!

    And you are apparently totally unable to understand - or respect - that I
    actually made an informed decision that happens to be different from what
    you *wish* it were.

      Last update: 2007-06-14 22:15    [W:0.021 / U:52.504 seconds]