On Jun 14, 2007, Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, Diego Calleja wrote:

>> And the FSF is trying to control the design and licensing of
>> hardware throught the influence of their software.

It's not. It's only working to ensure recipients of the Free Software
can modify and share the software.

>> What the FSF is trying to do is EVIL.

> I wouldn't go that far (although, in the heat of the moment I probably
> _have_ gone that far. Oops ;).

> I literally think that the GPLv2 has worked so well exactly because you
> can strip it of its high-falutin' morality and the FSF Kool-Aid, and just
> see it as a "tit-for-tat" license. It allows everybody to see that the
> work they put in (into the _software_) is protected, and people cannot
> make improved versions of that software and distribute those improved
> versions without giving you the right back to use those improvements (to
> the _software_).

Can you explain to me how it is that the Tivoization provisions (the
only objection you have to GPLv3) conflict with this?

(nevermind our disagreement as to whether "tit-for-tat" applies to
either GPLv2 or GPLv3)

Alexandre Oliva
FSF Latin America Board Member
Red Hat Compiler Engineer aoliva@{,}
Free Software Evangelist oliva@{,}

  Last update: 2007-06-14 21:59    [W:0.679 / U:4.764 seconds]