    SubjectRe: libertas (private) ioctls vs. nl80211
    Independent of any nl80211 status the private libertas ioctls have to
    go. Not only don't we want private ioctls for mesh networking but rather
    have it as driver-independent interface, but the actual libertas interface
    is the worst possible choice. It uses the absolutely broken iwpriv interface
    instead of plain ioctls, and has a cmpletely confusing forest of sub ioctls.

    I strongly recommend ripping out all the ioctls for 2.6.22 and waiting for
    a proper interface to appear. The olpc people can patch the ioctls back
    in for their use, but we should not put in interface like this into the
    upstream kernel. All NIC vendors get pushed back badly when they try
    to put in less crappy ioctls, there is no reason to make a exception for
    libtertas just because it's used by a project that some of the involved
    maintainers like a lot.

      Last update: 2007-06-14 19:11    [W:0.040 / U:30.320 seconds]