    > > As a PS to the GPL3 comment here is the basic difference
    > >
    > > ROM - I can't modify the code on the device
    > > The creator can't modify the code further on the device
    > >
    > > Tivo - I can't modify the code on the device
    > > The owner can modify the code
    > >
    > > One is an implicit limitation of the hardware (just like I can't run
    > > openoffice on a 4MB PC even though the license gives me the right to
    > > try), the other is an artificial restriction.
    > >
    > > One case is witholding freedom in the GPL sense by one party while
    > > keeping it themselves, the other is a limitation of the system
    > > inevitably imposed on everyone.
    > I've been following this discussion and I find this interesting.
    > Consider these two cases:
    > 1.) I ship the device back to the manufacturer, they replace the ROM,
    > and ship it back to me.
    > 2.) I ship the device back to the manufacturer, they load new code
    > into it, and ship it back to me.
    > How do these two differ? Or is it now just a question of the ROM
    > being in a socket? I can't see how the technicalities of how the
    > hardware is constructed can change the legality of the software.

    At first glance I think a construct where the manufacturer is obliged
    to load _MY_ modified software in a timely fashion and at a reasonable
    price into the device would fit my understanding of the GPL's spirit
    though this leaves room for the definition of timely...

    Technosis GmbH, Geschäftsführer: Michael Gerdau, Tobias Dittmar
    Sitz Hamburg; HRB 89145 Amtsgericht Hamburg
    Vote against SPAM - see
    Michael Gerdau email:
      Last update: 2007-06-14 07:29    [W:0.026 / U:9.372 seconds]