SubjectRe: Proposal: change keycode for scancode e0 32 from 150 to 172
On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:29:48PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> I just tested this using Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro, which is a
> dual-mode (USB-PS/2) keyboard.
> This key is labelled Web/Home and has a picture of a house on the keycap.
> In PS/2 mode it reports E0 32 which gets converted to keycode 150.
> In USB mode it reports E0 02 which gets converted to keycode 172.
> I don't know if it's the keyboard itself that's being inconsistent, or
> if it is the table in usbkbd.c that's broken (in which case it should be
> fixed to be consistent with the keyboard in PS/2 mode.)

USB keyboards don't send scancodes, what you see is smoke and mirrors.

Yes, the atkbd.c and hid-input.c mappings are inconsistent. We probably
want to fix atkbd.c (scancode->keycode mapping), and maybe also
char/keyboard.c (keycode->synth scancode mapping).

> > The logo on the key is a homepage logo, the text below is www/homepage.
> > So what to send? I believe that for consistency with the usb codes send
> > it should be KEY_HOMEPAGE, but thats based on a sample of 1 usb
> > keyboard. Input on what other usb keyboards send for the key with the
> > homepage iocn is very much welcome.
> You seem to be of the opinion that "usb behaviour is correct", but don't
> give any motivation why usb should take precedence. Offhand, I would
> expect there to be fewer translation layers for PS/2 and would therefore
> assume PS/2 is more inherently correct.

KEY_HOMEPAGE seems to better fit the description of how the key looks.
Microsoft calls it "WWW Home", and it's supposed to be e0 32.

Vojtech Pavlik
Director SuSE Labs