    SubjectRe: Proposal: change keycode for scancode e0 32 from 150 to 172
    On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:29:48PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > I just tested this using Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro, which is a
    > dual-mode (USB-PS/2) keyboard.
    > This key is labelled Web/Home and has a picture of a house on the keycap.
    > In PS/2 mode it reports E0 32 which gets converted to keycode 150.
    > In USB mode it reports E0 02 which gets converted to keycode 172.
    > I don't know if it's the keyboard itself that's being inconsistent, or
    > if it is the table in usbkbd.c that's broken (in which case it should be
    > fixed to be consistent with the keyboard in PS/2 mode.)

    USB keyboards don't send scancodes, what you see is smoke and mirrors.

    Yes, the atkbd.c and hid-input.c mappings are inconsistent. We probably
    want to fix atkbd.c (scancode->keycode mapping), and maybe also
    char/keyboard.c (keycode->synth scancode mapping).

    > > The logo on the key is a homepage logo, the text below is www/homepage.
    > > So what to send? I believe that for consistency with the usb codes send
    > > it should be KEY_HOMEPAGE, but thats based on a sample of 1 usb
    > > keyboard. Input on what other usb keyboards send for the key with the
    > > homepage iocn is very much welcome.
    > You seem to be of the opinion that "usb behaviour is correct", but don't
    > give any motivation why usb should take precedence. Offhand, I would
    > expect there to be fewer translation layers for PS/2 and would therefore
    > assume PS/2 is more inherently correct.

    KEY_HOMEPAGE seems to better fit the description of how the key looks.
    Microsoft calls it "WWW Home", and it's supposed to be e0 32.

    Vojtech Pavlik
    Director SuSE Labs

      Last update: 2007-06-13 12:41    [W:0.046 / U:1.028 seconds]