    SubjectRe: Proposal: change keycode for scancode e0 32 from 150 to 172
    On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 03:29:48PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > I just tested this using Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro, which is a
    > dual-mode (USB-PS/2) keyboard.
    >
    > This key is labelled Web/Home and has a picture of a house on the keycap.
    >
    > In PS/2 mode it reports E0 32 which gets converted to keycode 150.
    > In USB mode it reports E0 02 which gets converted to keycode 172.
    >
    > I don't know if it's the keyboard itself that's being inconsistent, or
    > if it is the table in usbkbd.c that's broken (in which case it should be
    > fixed to be consistent with the keyboard in PS/2 mode.)

    USB keyboards don't send scancodes, what you see is smoke and mirrors.

    Yes, the atkbd.c and hid-input.c mappings are inconsistent. We probably
    want to fix atkbd.c (scancode->keycode mapping), and maybe also
    char/keyboard.c (keycode->synth scancode mapping).

    > > The logo on the key is a homepage logo, the text below is www/homepage.
    > > So what to send? I believe that for consistency with the usb codes send
    > > it should be KEY_HOMEPAGE, but thats based on a sample of 1 usb
    > > keyboard. Input on what other usb keyboards send for the key with the
    > > homepage iocn is very much welcome.
    >
    > You seem to be of the opinion that "usb behaviour is correct", but don't
    > give any motivation why usb should take precedence. Offhand, I would
    > expect there to be fewer translation layers for PS/2 and would therefore
    > assume PS/2 is more inherently correct.

    KEY_HOMEPAGE seems to better fit the description of how the key looks.
    Microsoft calls it "WWW Home", and it's supposed to be e0 32.

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    Director SuSE Labs