    Subject[RFC] TOMOYO Linux
    Hello,

    A couple of years ago, we tried to build a tool to generate
    SELinux policy (*1). To do that, we had to gather the access
    requests information. So we researched a profiling method and
    got to the idea of having a process to store its invocation
    history information (or ancestors).

    Here are examples:
    /bin/bash process invoked from mingetty: /sbin/mingetty /bin/bash
    /bin/bash process invoked from sshd: /usr/sbin/sshd /bin/bash
    /bin/bash process invoked from /bin/bash which was invoked from sshd: /usr/sbin/sshd /bin/bash /bin/bash

    It seemed to us that this clarification would be familiar to
    users/administrators and could be used for various purposes.
    We did implement this by making use of the Linux's traditional
    fork & exec mechanisms, and built a pathname-based MAC using
    this implementation. We named the result as "TOMOYO Linux"
    and made it open source at SourceForge.jp (*2).

    TOMOYO Linux kernel keeps track of process invocation and
    distinguishes every different process invocation history as a "domain".
    TOMOYO Linux can accumulate the accesses requests for each domain.

    TOMOYO Linux has a utility called "ccstree". It prints the invocation
    history for each process in addition to the output of "pstree" command:

    [root@tomoyo ~]# ccstree
    init (1) <kernel> /sbin/init
    +- udevd (388) <kernel> /sbin/udevd
    +- automount (1970) <kernel> /etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs /usr/sbin/automount
    +- acpid (1993) <kernel> /etc/rc.d/init.d/acpid /bin/bash /usr/sbin/acpid
    +- cupsd (2008) <kernel> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups /bin/bash /usr/sbin/cupsd
    +- sshd (2026) <kernel> /usr/sbin/sshd
    +- sshd (2269) <kernel> /usr/sbin/sshd
    +- bash (2271) <kernel> /usr/sbin/sshd /bin/bash
    +- ccstree (15125) <kernel> /usr/sbin/sshd /bin/bash /root/ccstools/ccstree

    (symbol, "<kernel>" indicates a virtual base.)

    We had a presentation and a tutorial session of TOMOYO Linux
    version 1.4 at the ELC2007 (*3). Version 1.4.1 is the latest and
    has a rich set of MAC functions for files, networking, and
    capabilities and so on. For historical reasons, it is not using
    LSM or auditd. We decided to share this idea with the Linux community
    and totally rewrote the code. The result was TOMOYO Linux 2.0,
    which is now using LSM and auditd. To make discussion smooth,
    we cut off MAC functions other than for files.

    We are posting this message because we believe that this process
    invocation history idea might be a useful addition to Linux.
    Please take some time to see what this small piece of software can do
    with your own eyes. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

    If some of you are interested in TOMOYO Linux as a method for
    access control, please be advised to try full-featured version 1.4.1 (*4).
    It is quite easy to install and maintain TOMOYO Linux, but it should
    not be considered as a replacement of SELinux.

    All right, that's almost everything. Please visit the following
    URL for the code and documents:
    http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/wiki-e/
    If you want to see the code first, then:
    http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/cgi-bin/lxr/source/security/tomoyo/?v=linux-2.6.21.3-tomoyo-2.0

    We will have a TOMOYO Linux BOF session at the OLS2007 (*5).
    Please come along and let's talk.

    Thank you.

    Toshiharu Harada (project manager)
    Tetsuo Handa (main architect, version 1 author)
    Kentaro Takeda (version 2.0 author)
    NTT DATA CORPORATION
    http://www.nttdata.co.jp/en/index.html

    *1) http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/document/nsf2003-en.pdf
    *2) http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/
    *3) http://www.celinux.org/elc2007/
    http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/ELC2007Presentations
    *4) http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/en/1.4.1/
    *5) http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2007/

      Last update: 2007-06-13 11:29    [W:0.027 / U:2.208 seconds]