    > What if TiVo had put the kernel in a burned-in ROM (not flash, or on a
    > flash ROM with no provision for reprogramming it)? Would that also
    > violate the "spirit" of the GPL? Must any device that wishes to include
    > GPL code include additional hardware to support replacing that code
    > (even if that hardware is otherwise superfluous)?

    As a PS to the GPL3 comment here is the basic difference

    ROM - I can't modify the code on the device
    The creator can't modify the code further on the device

    Tivo - I can't modify the code on the device
    The owner can modify the code

    One is an implicit limitation of the hardware (just like I can't run
    openoffice on a 4MB PC even though the license gives me the right to
    try), the other is an artificial restriction.

    One case is witholding freedom in the GPL sense by one party while
    keeping it themselves, the other is a limitation of the system
    inevitably imposed on everyone.

      Last update: 2007-06-14 03:49    [W:0.020 / U:30.188 seconds]