SubjectRe: ext2 on flash memory
    Hi Philipp :))

* Ph. Marek <philipp.marek@bmlv.gv.at> dixit:
> > I was just wondering if, apart from the excessive wear, there were
> > other reasons. One of the reasons I would like to use a good filesystem
> > for a pendrive is to be able to store file metadata (UID, GID, mode,
> > etc.) properly, for example to store a "live" copy of my home dir in the
> > pendrive.
> If it would be enough to have a backup (with meta-data), that needs some
> software to be read again, you could also try fsvs (http://fsvs.tigris.org).
>
> That does a full filesystem versioning (with owner, group, mode and mtime)
> into a subversion repository. This would have the benefit that you could keep
> the "prefered" filesystem, but have a (versioned!) backup of your data.

Your message is very peculiar... because I already have a similar
thing working on my system ;))) I tried FSVS and I didn't like it fully
(don't ask me why, I don't even remember, that was a time ago), so I
wrote my own system.

Instead of a complex solution, I opted for a simple (but ad-hoc)
solution, writing a pre-commit-hook in Perl and a couple of files to
store the metadata. Very simple but I have all my system configuration
files (and other files that I want to have versioned) under SVN.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway, because I think that the concept
(having versioned system files) is interesting and very useful :))

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado