    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] Documentation of kernel messages
    On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 09:37:29AM -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
    > On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 17:06 +0200, holzheu wrote:
    > > The operation of a Linux system sometimes requires to decode the
    > > meaning of a specific kernel message, e.g. an error message of a
    > > driver. Especially on our mainframe zSeries platform system
    > > administrators want to have descriptions for Linux kernel messages.
    > > They are used to that, because all other operating systems on that
    > > platform like z/OS, z/VM or z/VSE have message catalogs with detailed
    > > descriptions about the semantics of the messages.
    >
    > I'm not sure we want to make Linux more like z/* in this regard. :)
    >
    > The problem with your proposal is that every time a new message in the
    > kernel is created or modified, you need somebody to go update that
    > documentation. It's going to get out-of-sync very fast if this isn't
    > done, and you either need to convince and teach each and every kernel
    > contributor to follow your lead, or have a team of highly trained code
    > monkeys to watch git-commits and resubmit documentation for every diff
    > that touches a printk.

    This is no more and no less the same situation that we have with
    the kernel-doc documented functions/data in the kernel.

    I like the concept that the description is kept close to the actual
    usage, the tool support and that in general looks like ordinary
    kernel-doc documentation.

    And if people do not dare to update the kernel-doc documentation of
    a function then maybe they should not send patches in first place..

    If we then really want to have the important printk's documented
    is another story.

    Sam

      Last update: 2007-06-13 19:13    [W:0.025 / U:2.980 seconds]