    SubjectRe: ext3fs: umount+sync not enough to guarantee metadata-on-disk
    > Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    > >>Did this succeed? If the application is still truncating that file, the
    > >>umount should have failed.
    > >
    > >Shouldn't sync should wait for truncate to finish?
    > The part that gets me here, and that others might be missing,
    > is that we are not waiting for ftruncate at this point.
    > We're waiting for unlink. The application that was doing ftruncate
    > in tiny little doses has been sent a kill-9 signal, so what should
    > be happening now (confirmed by disk activity LEDs) is the file should
    > just be getting deleted the same as if we did "rm bigfile" on it.
    But if that app has been waiting in D state, kill -9 does nothing to it
    until it wakes up, doesn't it? So fd's are still open and umount fails.

    Jan Kara <>
    SuSE CR Labs

      Last update: 2007-06-11 13:09    [W:0.029 / U:30.492 seconds]