Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>> I have yet to see any actual *reasons* for licensing under the GPLv3,
>> though.
>>

> Btw, if Sun really _is_ going to release OpenSolaris under GPLv3, that
> _may_ be a good reason. I don't think the GPLv3 is as good a license as
> v2, but on the other hand, I'm pragmatic, and if we can avoid having two
> kernels with two different licenses and the friction that causes, I at
> least see the _reason_ for GPLv3. As it is, I don't really see a reason at
> all.
>
> I personally doubt it will happen, but hey, I didn't really expect them to
> open-source Java either(*), so it's not like I'm infallible in my
> predictions.
>
> Linus
>
> (*) And I've been pushing for that since before they even released it - I
> walked out on Bill Joy at a private event where they discussed their
> horrible previous Java license.

Thanks for making things more clear :-) Some really strong indications
that Sun is very willing to,at least, "Dual-License" the OpenSolaris
with GPLv3. I think; in a very short time; we will see when the GPLv3
finalized and released.

Regards,

Tarkan

  Last update: 2007-06-11 10:41    [W:2.960 / U:0.116 seconds]