    SubjectRe: ext2 on flash memory

    On Jun 11, 2007, at 5:13 AM, DervishD wrote:

    > Hi all :)
    > I was wondering: is there any reason not to use ext2 on an USB
    > pendrive? Really my question is not only about USB pendrives, but any
    > device whose storage is flash based. Let's assume that the device
    > has a
    > good quality flash memory with wear leveling and the like...
    > Thanks a lot in advance :)
    > Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

    My opinion is that, unless the flash is really cheap, or it is being
    written to excessively, that it probably doesn't matter too much.
    With the growth in size of flash, just how long do you think it will
    continue to be used before you go to something larger?

    A 256MB flash of a few years ago has been supplanted in many cases by
    today's 2-4gb memory.

    One suggestion with ext2 might be to mount it with the noatime
    option, so it doesn't update the last access time for directories and
    files. Otherwise, you are doing a write even when you only plan to
    read a file.

      Last update: 2007-06-12 02:05    [W:0.027 / U:10.804 seconds]