SubjectRe: divorce CONFIG_X86_PAE from CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G
On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:35:51PM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> config X86_PAE
> + help
> + PAE is required for NX support, and furthermore enables
> + larger swapspace support for non-overcommit purposes. It
> + has the cost of more pagetable lookup overhead, and also
> + consumes more pagetable space per process.

It's not specific to this help text, but I start becoming a bit picky
about this issues:

If you understand this help text after reading it, you don't need a help
text for this option... ;-)

What is "NX support"?
What are "non-overcommit purposes"?
What is "pagetable lookup overhead"?

And if in doubt, should I say Y or N?

"System administrator who knows which hardware components he put into
the computer and which filesystems his data is on" might be a good
description for the average kconfig user, and these are the people who
should understand this help text.

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed