    SubjectRe: divorce CONFIG_X86_PAE from CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G
    On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:35:51PM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > config X86_PAE
    > + help
    > + PAE is required for NX support, and furthermore enables
    > + larger swapspace support for non-overcommit purposes. It
    > + has the cost of more pagetable lookup overhead, and also
    > + consumes more pagetable space per process.

    It's not specific to this help text, but I start becoming a bit picky
    about this issues:

    If you understand this help text after reading it, you don't need a help
    text for this option... ;-)

    What is "NX support"?
    What are "non-overcommit purposes"?
    What is "pagetable lookup overhead"?

    And if in doubt, should I say Y or N?

    "System administrator who knows which hardware components he put into
    the computer and which filesystems his data is on" might be a good
    description for the average kconfig user, and these are the people who
    should understand this help text.

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2007-06-12 01:55    [W:0.019 / U:3.380 seconds]