    SubjectRe: [Intel-IOMMU 02/10] Library routine for pre-allocat pool handling
    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Keshavamurthy, Anil S wrote:

    > Hence, can I assume that the conclusion of this
    > discussion is to use kmem_cache_alloc() functions
    > to allocate memory in dma_map_{single|sg} API's?

    Use the page allocator for page size allocations. If you need to have
    specially aligned memory in less than page sized chunks then use
    kmem_cache_alloc with a specially configured slab.
    > Again, if dma_map_{single|sg} API's fails due to
    > failure to allocate memory, the only thing that can
    > be done is to panic as this is what few of the other
    > IOMMU implementation is doing today.

    Why does it have to be so severe? The I/O operation fails right?