    SubjectRe: ext2 on flash memory
        Hi Alan :)

    * alan <alan@clueserver.org> dixit:
    > On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, DervishD wrote:
    > > I was wondering: is there any reason not to use ext2 on an USB
    > >pendrive? Really my question is not only about USB pendrives, but any
    > >device whose storage is flash based. Let's assume that the device has a
    > >good quality flash memory with wear leveling and the like...
    >
    > Do you need to use OSes other than Linux? FAT16/32 seems to be a pretty
    > universal filesystem at this point. You can mount ext2 on Windows, but it
    > is a pain. Not certain what it takes to mount it on OS X.

    I don't really need to use ext2, I just was curious. I have a couple
    of pendrives and I was thinking about using one of them to store a
    "live" copy of my home. So, I wanted ext2 for that. I can access the
    data from Windows if I need to, but usually I try not to touch a Windows
    even with a 100 mts pole ;)

    Portability (so to speak), is not important for me.

    > I have encountered flash drives that do not format well for anything
    > other than FAT16, but they were old and small. Hopefully that problem
    > no longer exists with modern hardware. I would format it then test
    > the hell out of it before trusting it with important data.

    That's the answer I was looking for ;))) I mean, will the pendrive
    have problems with ext2 due to some strange behaviour of the hardware? I
    know about cheap pendrives that you cannot format even with FAT32, only
    with FAT16. The pendrive I was considering to have the "live" copy of my
    home was a Kingston Data Traveler.

    Of course, I can go with a loopback: this way I'll have a "live"
    backup of my home, with all UNIX metadata saved but able to reside on a
    FAT16 filesystem. Not very comfortable, given that I won't use it
    outside Linux (probably).

    I just was curious about the issue and I was asking to know if
    anybody had tried this.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado