    Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
    > On Sat, 2007-06-09 15:57:55 +1000, Neil Brown <> wrote:
    >> On Saturday June 9, wrote:
    >>> As we know the forthcoming GPL V3 will be not compatible with the GPL V2
    >>> and Linux Kernel is GPL V2 only.
    >>> So, another point is, which is previously mentioned by Linus and others,
    >>> that if it is decided to upgrade the Linux Kernel's License to GPL V3,
    >>> it is needed the permission of all the maintainers permission who
    >>> contributed to the Linux Kernel and there are a lot of lost or dead
    >>> maintainers. Which makes it impossible to get all the maintainers'
    >>> permission.
    >> You don't need the permission of maintainers. You need the permission
    >> of copyright owners. The two groups overlap, but are not the same.
    >> Dead people cannot own anything, even copyright. Their estate
    >> probably can. I don't think it is theoretically impossible to get
    >> everyone's permission, though it may be quite close to practically
    >> impossible.
    > And the next question is: How much copyright does a copyright owner
    > own? For example, think of drivers written by one person, but a small
    > number of lines changed here and there by others to adopt the code to
    > new APIs. Ask them all, I think?
    > MfG, JBG

    And maybe another questions should be : How long a copyright owner can
    hold the copyright, if died or lost for sometime ? if died, the
    copyright still should be valid or not ? If lost, what the law orders at
    this point for copyright holding ?

      Last update: 2007-06-10 10:45    [W:0.023 / U:122.108 seconds]