    SubjectRe: kconfig .po files in kernel tree? [Was: Documentation/HOWTO translated into Japanese]
    Date
    On Sunday 10 June 2007 20:58, Rene Herman wrote:
    > All that stuff only serves to multiply the speed at which a fixed percentage
    > of content obsoletes itself. When it's still new and shiny, sure, stuff will
    > get translated but in no time at all it'll become a fragmented mess which
    > nobody ever feels right about removing because that would be anti-social to
    > all those poor non-english speaking kernel hackers out there.

    I agree. i18n efforts won't help one iota because people just have
    to know English in order to participate in l-k development.
    They should be able to read _and_ reply_ to lkml posts,
    and read and understnd code _and_ comments_.

    Those who cannot participate in development because they don't
    know English, won't get much help from some bits of semi-obsolete
    Documentation/* being available. Ok, they will read it, then what?
    How they are supposed to read the code? Write email? etc...

    There is only one practical solution: learn the language.

    It's not about *English* per se. It just happened so historically
    that CS has originated in English speaking countries.

    BTW, I learned it by reading sci-fi (Asimov's Foundation was the first thing),
    and then lkml. :)
    --
    vda