    SubjectRe: kconfig .po files in kernel tree? [Was: Documentation/HOWTO translated into Japanese]
    On 06/10/2007 07:52 PM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

    > We once discussed about .po files for kconfig and back then
    > the conclusion was not to keep them in the kernel tree.
    > I advocated that they should stay out back then.
    > But on the other hand I do not see it causing much troubles
    > having scripts/kconfig/po/da.po etc araound.
    > Any opinion about the .po files?

    From me, the same opinion as about any and all internationalized content in
    the tree -- please don't.

    All that stuff only serves to multiply the speed at which a fixed percentage
    of content obsoletes itself. When it's still new and shiny, sure, stuff will
    get translated but in no time at all it'll become a fragmented mess which
    nobody ever feels right about removing because that would be anti-social to
    all those poor non-english speaking kernel hackers out there.

    In current effect, English is the language of the linux kernel. Its messages
    are in English, most or all of the useful information available on it is in
    English, its developers communicate in (some semblance of) English...

    More importantly even than any current practical situation though it seems
    this should also be how people should try to keep things. I'm not a native
    English speaker myself but English serves well as a common language among
    all us non-native speakers. I really do not so much want to have to learn
    more languages well enough to be able to understand technical discussions
    about operating system kernels in them still.

    America is obviously historically (for a sufficiently short value of
    history) the main supplier/originator of computer software and as such,
    using English is often seen as something that needs to be fixed upon
    expansion but this is wrong. Please do not for a minute believe that
    internationalization is doing anyone a favour.

    I know all about constantly translating computer terminology back and forth
    when a non-computer savvy friend asks something in the context of his/her
    Dutch language copy of Windows.

    Internationalization is sometimes _neccessary_ (those same windows desktops)
    simply because the result needs to be used by people that you don't want to
    have to expect to be able to use English (because you'd limit your market)
    and things like adopting a character set that allows people to write down
    their names is obviously wonderful but generally internationalization only

      Last update: 2007-06-10 21:05    [W:0.028 / U:112.320 seconds]