SubjectRe: [RFD] Documentation/HOWTO translated into Japanese
Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 02:24:51PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
>> Since the common language of most kernel contributors is english I
>> personally feel that we should stick to just that one language in the
>> tree and then perhaps keep translations on a website somewhere. So the
>> authoritative docs stay in the tree, in english, so that as many
>> contributors as possible can read and update them. It would then be a
>> seperate project to generate translations and keep them updated
>> according to what's in the tree. Perhaps we could get the
>> people to create an official space for that and then place a pointer
>> to that site in Documentation/ somewhere.
> No, I think the translated files should be in the tree proper, we have
> the space :)

Frankly i don't see the difference between this and the annual reoccurring "why can't the kernel messages be localized" discussion.
(Which is a little overdue, but maybe this replaces it this time.)

I could see the point in ONE "HOWTO" file per language to get people started, but everything else is a pointless exercise.
A developer/bug-reporter has to be able to express him-/herself in English and understand English, otherwise you can not accomplish very much.

All the points of the localized-messages discussion:
- You have to have a common language, otherwise you can't communicate.
- The translation will per definition be out of sync
- Translations tend to introduce (translation-)errors
- ...
also apply here.

A little anecdote:
Very Long ago (last millennium i think) SuSE defaulted to a german translated kernel for one release of their distribution. (And optionally for a few more)
But even though i'm german i couldn't understand a single word.

And here is the FAQ-Entry about the annually reoccurring discussion:

Bis denn

  Last update: 2007-06-10 20:27    [W:0.264 / U:2.224 seconds]