    SubjectRe: [RFD] Documentation/HOWTO translated into Japanese
    Greg KH wrote:
    > On Sun, Jun 10, 2007 at 02:24:51PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
    >> Since the common language of most kernel contributors is english I
    >> personally feel that we should stick to just that one language in the
    >> tree and then perhaps keep translations on a website somewhere. So the
    >> authoritative docs stay in the tree, in english, so that as many
    >> contributors as possible can read and update them. It would then be a
    >> seperate project to generate translations and keep them updated
    >> according to what's in the tree. Perhaps we could get the kernel.org
    >> people to create an official space for that and then place a pointer
    >> to that site in Documentation/ somewhere.
    >
    > No, I think the translated files should be in the tree proper, we have
    > the space :)

    Frankly i don't see the difference between this and the annual reoccurring "why can't the kernel messages be localized" discussion.
    (Which is a little overdue, but maybe this replaces it this time.)

    I could see the point in ONE "HOWTO" file per language to get people started, but everything else is a pointless exercise.
    A developer/bug-reporter has to be able to express him-/herself in English and understand English, otherwise you can not accomplish very much.

    All the points of the localized-messages discussion:
    - You have to have a common language, otherwise you can't communicate.
    - The translation will per definition be out of sync
    - Translations tend to introduce (translation-)errors
    - ...
    also apply here.

    A little anecdote:
    Very Long ago (last millennium i think) SuSE defaulted to a german translated kernel for one release of their distribution. (And optionally for a few more)
    But even though i'm german i couldn't understand a single word.

    And here is the FAQ-Entry about the annually reoccurring discussion:
    http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s9-16

    Bis denn